Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Recipe ReDux Post # 27 Kicked Up “Cleansing” Lemonade





Every time I have tried turmeric in a dish it never seems to taste right so I just gave up on it and stopped using this spice all together. I was reintroduced to it when I checked out a fancy juice place and tried a citrus blend that had turmeric in it and I actually liked it a lot!  In fact, I decided I wanted to replicate that drink at home but just never got around to it. The Recipe ReDux challenge for October is fittingly titled “Spooky Spices” where we were encouraged to use spices that intimidate us in the kitchen. This challenge was the perfect opportunity to try turmuric and conquer my fear of using it and it worked!!  This fresh, delicious drink is a nice combo of sweet and spicy, plus the turmeric gives it a beautiful golden hue. Not only does turmeric add a nice color, but it has been the focus of a many health related studies which are discovering it has anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-aging benefits too!  I am not one to drink juice too much because I would rather eat whole fruits and veggies, for less calories , less sugar and more fiber. But this drink is a nice way to treat yourself in a reasonably healthy way.  I use the title “cleansing” lightly because I think the jury is still out on juice cleanses and more research in that area needs to be done.  For now, I will just enjoy this from time to time and hope that it is indeed rejuvenating to my body.  So try a sip and check out these other Spooky Spice creations by the talented Recipe Redux group!


Ingredients:

2 cups hot filtered water
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:

Heat the water to just before boiling in a small sauce pan.  Stir in the honey until dissolves.  Sprinkle in the tumeric, ginger and pepper and mix well.  Chill and serve.

Makes 2 cups, two servings

Serving size:1 cup   Calories 70   Protein 0  g Carb 19 g  Fiber 0   g Sugars   17 g Fat  0 g Saturated fat  0 g Sodium 10 mg



Also, please don't forget to vote for the Mediterranean Rice Salad Recipe that my daughter and I entered in a contest to win $30,000 for her school!  Click HERE to see her cooking video and to vote! We need votes everyday until October 29th!!!




5 comments:

Alex @ delicious-knowledge.com October 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM  

I try to have a bit of turmeric every day! Can't wait to try this one!

Kara October 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM  

I make this drink when I'm feeling under the weather, but have never added tumeric! Will definitely be trying that next time!

Karielyn@TheHealthyFamilyandHome October 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM  

Turmeric is my #1 favorite go-to spice but I've never used it in a drink other than smoothies...this is a great idea!

GrainCrazy October 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM  

Love the way you used turmeric. It is so good for you.

Meal Makeover Mom Janice October 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM  

I also dug my turmeric out of the back of my spice cabinet for my focaccia bread! It was milder than I expected and I'm sure it tastes great in this drink. :)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP